Grenoble

Grenoble

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Les musées de Grenoble


Bonjour tout le monde! I decided to do my blog post on the numerous museums that Grenoble has to offer because a) it’s a great way to get to know the city and b) ashamed as I am to say it, I had yet to visit any until this assignment, even though it’s already half way through the program. If you come here, do as I say and not as I do, and visit one (or all!) earlier in the program. It was a really rewarding experience and I regret not taking advantage of the opportunity sooner, especially since we don’t have easy access to such a plethora of museums back home in Athens.

The first thing I will mention is that if you decide to visit a museum on Tuesday, you will be limited to two of the 10 departmental museums Grenoble has to offer, as the other 8 are all closed on this day of the week. No matter though, because your options are the Musée de la Résistance (dedicated to Grenoble’s specific history concerning the resistance movement during the French Occupation of WWII) and the Musée de l’Ancien Évêché, which is where I chose to do my visit for this blog.

In case you aren’t up on your religious French vocabulary (I wasn’t), this name roughly translates to “Museum of the Old Diocese”. I also found a translation that said “Old Bishop’s Palace” which I think is more fun to say and gives a clearer description of what this site actually was in layman’s terms, but I digress! The museum was built atop the ruins of an ancient cathedral complex dating back to Roman-occupied Gaul in the 9th century. I was interested to learn that these ruins were discovered in the late 80’s, when the city was excavating for a new tramway. In the bottom level of the museum, you will find the remains of an old baptistery as well as displays of artifacts from the time period that were found at the site. At the back of this level is the main attraction: the remains of the baptismal pool that was actually used about a thousand years ago. Even the ancient pipe system that was used to feed the pool has been excavated and put on display. The layout of this part of the museum makes it very easy to go on a self-guided tour, as there are many guideposts that explain both what you are looking at as well as its historical significance in terms of its cultural context at the time. Even though there were, again, some religious vocab words that I wasn’t familiar with, I was still able to get the gist of what was I was reading (there were pictures, too. That’s always helpful). This would be an easy way for students of most language levels to get an interesting history lesson on Grenoble outside of the classroom.

After the baptistery, I went up to the first floor of the museum which starts a several stories tall introduction to the history of the department of Isère, starting in the Stone Age and extending onwards through time. I was short on time so I only got to explore the Stone Age area, but this was by far my favorite part of my visit to the museum. On display are artifacts found throughout the department, including tools, decorative objects and even the oldest human remains found in region. This takes the form of a partial human skull that archeologists have named “Alexandre”. The skull was found in 1983 in a cave (la grotte Joëlle) and is roughly 11,000 years old. Carbon dating has revealed that Alexandre was approximately 50 years old at the time of his death and measured 1.6 meters tall. Another one of my favorite pieces that I saw in this exhibit was a partially intact bone object with an engraving of a horse’s head on its surface. I am obsessed with the prehistoric cave paintings that have been found in France (I’m going to visit the Lascaux cave exhibit during spring vacation), and the style of this horse was completely reminiscent of the art that can be found at those sites.






These last two objects really drove home for me how much I appreciate the antiquity that you can discover in France and throughout Europe in general. While America certainly isn’t short on sites of historical significance, by virtue of being a relatively young country, we simply don’t have access to such profound links to our ancient past. There’s something spiritual about seeing something that old with tangible traces of humanity that I haven’t quite figured out how to articulate. Suffice it to say that this wasn’t a visit I will soon forget. 


Helpful tip: The Maison du Tourisme in the centre-ville of Grenoble has a really helpful pamphlet that includes the names, addresses, hours and a brief description of all ten of the departmental museums. It makes things so easy!

-Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment