Grenoble

Grenoble

Saturday, March 7, 2015

The Crêperie Experience

I have had such a great experience with the cuisine in France thus far in my study abroad journey.  Grenoble offers a wide array of places to indulge your taste buds, such as cool little cafés, upscale restaurants, or even food carts with different French specialties.  When in my hometown in Ohio, there is not much variety of food and ambiance, unless you do a little driving out of town.  Living in Grenoble is a lot different because so many places are within walking distance or a short ride via the tram.

One fun experience I have had with the food culture in Grenoble was at a local restaurant known for crepes.  On a quaint little street in the center of town, we found an eatery called the “Marin Marine Crêperie” close to when we first had arrived in Grenoble.  We got to our table and started talking and laughing, but noticed we were being rather loud in the restaurant.  A big difference from eating in French restaurants versus American ones is that French restaurants are reserved for a quieter and more relaxed setting.  It was definitely hard to keep a softer voice while conversing and eating! 

We finally got our crepes and they looked delicious!  I couldn’t believe how intricately these specialties were made and that it didn’t take long for the chef to prepare them.  I was reminded of home in this restaurant because I always love being in my hometown and going to restaurants with great food and fast service.  I decided to get a crepe with pears, walnuts, and chocolate drizzle, since I love chocolate.  Crepes can be filled with many things, such as fruits, meats, nuts, or other sweets.





Having been in France for over a week, we knew the process of paying the check.  Between talking and finishing up our food, it took us a little while to pay for our own portion of the bill, since in France, there is no such thing as having separate checks.  Having everyone throw and exchange money around the table is considered normal, so we had fun doing that.  I also remember us resisting the urge to tip our waiter because they do not tip in restaurants in France, unlike America.  This place was a lot like home as well because of the great and friendly service that was given to us, especially because the staff knew we were foreigners.



The French food experience is one to take in at a good pace because of the food, ambiance, and friendship.  I have learned eating in France is more of an art and a way of life that is integrated into the culture.  I plan to become a regular at the Marin Marine Crêperie because of the great times and memories it has given me during my stay in France.

-Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment